Friday, June 19, 2009

Vietnam 101:

I know. It's amazing. I made it to 'Nam alive and in one piece! I have to admit, it was pretty disheartening to still be picked up by the scam artist taxis, despite my efforts in trying to avoid them... and even more so when my wallet was $200 lighter... boo.

Rocky beginnings aside, here are some things I've learned so far in my crash-course introduction to Hanoi:

- Plan on taking 3+ showers every day. Even as a guest in someone's home, you will probably be offered the opportunity, so take it! And no, your own sweat does not count as a shower.
- Trust the taxi driving, but not the drivers... lines and direction of traffic mean nothing to anyone, and yet I have yet to see an accident!
- There's a reason they wear long sleeves and ventilation masks while motorcycling around the city (the air quality is horrific).
- Don't walk too slow or too fast across the street, or you're toast.
- The fruit is so good here, it just might convert you banana haters into liking them.
- Don't be alarmed when vendors follow you for a block with their merchandise, telling you to "buy the pretty fan!"
- Sidewalks are not for pedestrians. Need a place to park you motorbike? or start a barbeque? how about throw/collect garbage (not in bags, mind you)...
- Motorbike capacity = 3 adults or 1 adult+4 kids


Well, I'm off to dinner at my newfound friend's house! 

1 comment:

dot... dot... dot... said...

I have heard about the motorbike with families on them before. Crazy! Hope you're having fun.