Monday, October 6, 2008

...the science of phenomena as distinct from that of the nature of being.

My friend earlier this summer was explaining to me how the Architecture program she was in is considered more "phenomenological" than that of the University of Oregon's. Because architect's are notorious for making up words, I had to look it up... aaaand it's a real word. 

The idea fascinates me... "an approach that concentrates on the study of consciousness and the objects of direct experience." I suppose that this reminds me of the issues of reality; how we distinguish our individual realities, perceptions. Which brings me to the article, "Seeing is Forgetting," by Lawrence Weschler. Here are some quotes that I feel best express this idea:

"All art is experience, yet all experience is not art."

"If the doors of perception were cleansed, everything would appear to man as it is, infinite."

We move through the world with a certain degree of expectation. We see what we want or know we will see. So, what is it that I see?


No comments: